Nagle Rice Secondary School, Doneraile, Co. Cork.  Tel: (022) 24500 / Fax: (022) 24586 / email: info@nrss.ie

“Where Your Child Matters.”

Nagle Rice was officially opened by the Minister for Education Ms Niamh Bhreathnach T.D. on 24 September 1993. This was the culmination of many years of planning and hard work, which involved the trustees of both the Presentation Order and the Christian Brothers, teachers, parents, pupils and the community at large.

Doneraile had a very strong tradition of secondary education. The Presentation Sisters came to Doneraile in 1818 and began the provision of secondary education for girls. They were followed by the Christian Brothers in 1869 who catered for boys. The men and women of these two orders educated many hundreds of boys and girls and gave them opportunities for advancement, which had been absent up to then. A huge debt of gratitude is owed by the people of Doneraile and the catchment area to these dedicated Nuns and Brothers.


By the mid 1980's, the buildings of both schools had seriously deteriorated; the facilities which had been provided were by now obselete and out-of-date. With much foresight, the Trustees of both Orders approached the Department of Education with a proposal to build a new co-educational school on a green-field site at the Horseclose in Doneraile. Following a series of meetings with all the interested parties the proposal was enthusiastically endorsed. The Department of Education agreed and so the planning and fundraising began. The first sod was turned on Wednesday 24 October 1990 and the school was officially opened on 24 September 1993.

History of Nagle Rice